Thursday, March 29, 2012

Surgery day - Day 1

Shortly after my last post, I was taken into the back and had my vision tested again (by Hyver's other doctor) to get the perfect prescription for surgery. I also got my Valium (he gave me 10mg instead of 5!) and we went over the post-op instructions. Another eye/vision test and a nurse took me into the surgery prep room.

There I had my hair pulled back into a hairnet and had booties put on over my shoes.  Then came the first round of ibuprofen eye drops and iodine to clean my eyelashes.  After waiting 5 minutes,  another nurse came in to give me the first round of numbing eye drops then brought me straight into the surgery room, taking my glasses as we were walking in.

I walked in and saw someone behind a big machine.  It was a very blurry Dr. Hyver ready to go.  The nurse had to help me walk to the table to lay down since I couldn't see much on my own. 

Once I laid down it went by very quickly. The nurses gave me another round of numbing drops and then Dr. Hyver propped my eye open with 2 devices - some tape and a clamp I think. I didn't feel any discomfort at all.  He talked me through the next steps.  "Focus on the green light no matter what." 

When he started, it felt like he was sweeping the surface of my eye with an electric toothbrush or something.  Haha, it's hard to explain but that's what it seemed like to me.  Again - no pain! Just a little pressure.  I believe this is the part of surgery where he cleaned and lasered off the corneal layer.  

After this, he cleaned the eye and then I needed to focus on an intense green light as I heard a series of beeps and they told me not to blink.  This is the laser vision correction part.  This is also where the smell came in.  I had heard some gross stories about this but my boss made a joke not to worry that it smelled like bacon.  Haha.  To be honest, it was a mellow smell and reminded me of getting my tooth drilled at the dentist. Not really gross at all.  15 seconds - or maybe less - and I was done!  
After the laser treatment, Dr. Hyver came back over for a cold water flush and a sweep of anything left on the eye where my epithelium used to be.  Another flush and in went the bandage contact to protect my cornea. (The contacts are removed on Tuesday morning- 5 days after surgery.)

***(Repeat the above for the other eye.)***

After he finished the left eye (my bad eye I was worried about), I was done and they said I could get up to leave.  As soon as I sat up I looked around and everything was clear.  I looked at Dr. Hyver and he was so clear.  There was a painting on the wall.  There were 2 nurses there not one.  I was totally in shock.  Yes, I knew what I was doing would give me perfect vision but I don't think you can possibly prepare yourself for how it really feels to see with your own eyes.  Impossible to describe... felt like a miracle. I just bought myself a miracle.

So I left with the sunglasses they provided (they look kinda cool!) and went out into the world.  My boyfriend drove us back home and I was looking all around reading street signs and looking at the sharp images everywhere.  But soon my eyes started to tear and I needed to close my eyes.  It felt like I had cut 10 onions. I needed to keep my eyes closed til we got home.  I think it was light sensitivity but who knows.

Arriving home around 7pm,  I needed to sit in the living room with the lights off with a hat and sunglasses on.  I sat back to relax and called my mom to tell her the good news.  I stayed that way for awhile.
Not used to light yet.. 
About an hour later I decided to turn on the computer to see if I could install some of the back up files to put on our mac with the new OS.  All of the sudden my eyes adapted and I was fine.  I've stayed this way for the last few hours without any significant fluctuation.

Eyes were tired but glasses were able to come off by night time!
I know that things will get worse in the next few days but I just need to document how wonderful things are today. I can only hope that by some miracle my recovery time is minimal.  Fingers crossed  for tomorrow.  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment